Get relief from the financial impacts of coronavirus
COVID-19 Mortgage Relief Options
Many homeowners are impacted by the devastating effects of coronavirus, or COVID-19. We’re here to help. Our mortgage relief options can help you feel safe at home if your employment or income are affected. And if Fannie Mae owns your loan, our Disaster Response Network can help you navigate the mortgage relief process and address other financial challenges.
Mortgage Relief Help
If coronavirus has caused job loss, income reduction, sickness, or other issues, mortgage relief options are available for homeowners.
- Homeowners impacted by this national emergency are eligible for a mortgage forbearance plan to reduce or suspend their mortgage payments for up to 12 months
- Homeowners in a mortgage forbearance plan will not incur late fees
- Credit bureau reporting of past due payments of borrowers in a mortgage forbearance plan as a result of hardships attributable to this national emergency is suspended
- After forbearance, a servicer must work with the borrower on a permanent workout option to help maintain or reduce monthly payment amounts as necessary, including a loan modification
- Foreclosure sales and evictions of borrowers are suspended for 60 days
Homeowners may request mortgage assistance by contacting their mortgage servicer—or, homeowners with a Fannie Mae-owned mortgage loan may work with our Disaster Response Network as outlined below.
Contact Fannie Mae Disaster Response Network. We’re here to help.
A HUD-approved housing counselor will assess your needs and create a personalized action plan. We’ll help you work with your mortgage servicer on payment relief, offer financial coaching and budgeting, and support your ongoing success with web resources and periodic check-ins.