Disaster Recovery Help for Homeowners
Fannie Mae is committed to assisting homeowners and communities affected by disasters. After a disaster, it's important that you contact your mortgage servicer (the company listed on your monthly statement) as soon as possible to learn about mortgage relief options. If you don’t have access to your mortgage records, check our Contact Your Mortgage Company list or search online for contact information.
If you have a Fannie Mae-owned loan and your property or place of employment is in a FEMA-declared zone, we can help you navigate the challenging disaster recovery process with resources like our Disaster Response Network.
Disaster Response Network
Fannie Mae’s Disaster Response Network™, operated by ClearPoint's Project Porchlight, offers eligible homeowners free support from HUD-approved housing advisors, including:
- Personalized recovery assessment and action plan
- Assistance filing claims (e.g., FEMA, insurance, and Small Business Administration (SBA))
- Help working with your mortgage servicer on payment relief options
- Access to Clearpoint’s* Project Porchlight Online and its tools and resources
- Ongoing check-ins to help ensure a successful recovery
If you've been affected by a disaster, and expect to have mortgage, housing, or employment related challenges, follow these steps:
1. CALL 877-833-1746
See if you have access to the Disaster Response Network and work with Clearpoint advisors who will connect you with the resources available to you.
2. Check for local homeowner events
Local relief efforts for larger scale disasters may include events where you can talk with housing counselors and mortgage companies in person to get the help you need. Check our Events page for events in your area and details on what you may need to take with you.
3. Access additional resources
People impacted by disasters may also receive help from:
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): www.hud.gov
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): www.disasterassistance.gov
- American Red Cross: 1-800-733-2767
Warning: Avoid Scams
Scam artists offer fraudulent assistance to those affected by disasters. Always confirm legitimacy of offers, never feel pressured to "take immediate action" and remember mortgage help is FREE. For more tips on how to avoid scams, CLICK HERE.
Our Commitment to Others
Fannie Mae supports national and local relief efforts following natural disasters through financial contributions, including matching our employee’s charitable gifts, as well as contributing to relief programs managed by charitable relief organizations. For more information, visit www.fanniemae.com.
* Clearpoint is a division of MMI