Mortgage Assistance and Disaster Relief
Help for Homeowners and Renters
If you’re facing financial challenges or other hardships, Fannie Mae is here to help. Whether you need mortgage counseling or disaster relief assistance, Fannie Mae offers tools to guide you through the process and recovery at no cost.
What is a Housing Counselor?
A housing counselor is a trained professional who understands the complexities of financial hardships. A housing counselor assesses your situation and provides advice for your particular circumstances. These professionals are part of counseling agencies sponsored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
A housing counselor can provide expert help with:
- Providing a personalized financial recovery action plan
- Assistance with debt relief including bills, credit cards, and rent or mortgage payments
- Applying for local and national assistance programs
- Working with your mortgage servicer or landlord
- Ongoing financial coaching for up to 12 months to help ensure a successful recovery
What kind of options are available for Housing Counseling?
If you’ve had your mortgage modified due to financial difficulties, post-modification financial counseling helps you plan and budget your obligations to achieve financial success. A dedicated expert helps you meet your specific needs through a customized program that covers topics that are most important to you.Learn More