Military Options

If you’re a service member struggling with your mortgage payment, you may qualify for special military options. Military service members also have protection against foreclosure for 12 months following termination of active duty. Watch our military help in action and get more details below.

"I'm facing a financial hardship as a service member in active duty. What help is available?"

Military Hardship may be an option if:
  • You've received Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders
  • You're in active duty service (or just left)
  • You (or your spouse) have been injured in active duty

A variety of mortgage programs may be available to help, whether you are looking to stay in your home, or if you need to leave your home. Click each link to review the details, benefits and next steps for that specific option.

Options to stay in your home:

Options to leave your home:

Next steps

Step 1

Contact a Fannie Mae Mortgage Help Network partner—If your loan is owned by Fannie Mae, you can meet directly with an experienced housing advisor (either by phone or in person) to discuss your mortgage situation and options available to service members. Click here to confirm you have a Fannie Mae loan and request help.

Step 2

Gather your financial information—You’ll need your:

  • Mortgage statements, including information on a second mortgage (if applicable);
  • Other monthly debt payments (e.g., car or student loans, credit card payments); and
  • Income details (paystubs and income tax returns).

Step 3

Contact the Fannie Mae Military Support Hotline—If you need additional information or want to speak with someone right away, call 800-2FANNIE (800-232-6643) and tell them you're in the military. Be ready to outline your current hardship and explain why you're having trouble making your mortgage payment. Our representatives can provide additional guidance on mortgage assistance programs to help with your short- or long-term needs.

These resources are also available to assist military services members. Click the links or give them a call for more information: