Household Mold Can Be More Costly Than You Think
Melissa Curry, 46, moved into a two-bedroom townhouse in nearby Crofton, MD, in June 2014. She noticed some dampness in the basement and purchased a humidifier. The problem seemed solved.
Over the July 4 weekend, she developed a deep chest cough and sore throat.
Those conditions would come and go, but as time passed, she had difficulty breathing and started to wheeze.
She saw a doctor who ruled out common allergens. “But we didn’t know what was making me sick.”
However, a pattern emerged: “I’d be sick all weekend, then feel better Monday and Tuesday, and then it would start again.” That synced up with working in nearby Washington, DC, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, and from home Wednesdays and Fridays.
“Being home was making me sick.”
Upon investigating her basement more closely, Curry discovered the sump pump was not working and water was trapped inside, allowing mold to grow. Mold was also growing in two corners of the basement after rainwater entered through cracks in the wall.