"Make the calls, and get the help you need."
– Andrea, saved $369 a month.
What is a Modification?
Under this option, you reach an agreement between you and your mortgage company to change the original terms of your mortgage—such as payment amount, length of loan, interest rate, etc. In most cases, when your mortgage is modified, you can reduce your monthly payment to a more affordable amount.
A modification may be an option if:
- You are ineligible to refinance
- You are facing a long-term hardship
- You are several months behind on your mortgage payments or likely to fall behind soon
What are the benefits?
- Resolve your delinquency status with your mortgage company
- May reduce your monthly mortgage payments to a more affordable amount
- Change the original terms of your mortgage permanently, giving you a new start
- Less damaging to your credit score than a foreclosure
- Stay in your home and avoid foreclosure
How does it work?
A modification involves one or more of the following:
- Changing the mortgage loan type (e.g., changing an Adjustable Rate Mortgage to a Fixed-Rate Mortgage)
- Extending the term of the mortgage (e.g., from a 30-year term to a 40-year term)
- Reducing the interest rate
- Adding any past-due amounts, such as interest and escrow, to the unpaid principal balance, which is then reamortized over the new term
Explain your current situation—Be ready to outline your current hardship and explain why you are having trouble making your mortgage payment and if this is a short-term or long-term problem. Your mortgage company will need to understand the reasons why you are having difficulty in order to find the right solution for you.
Gather your financial information—Make sure you have your basic financial and loan information on hand when you call your mortgage company.
Your mortgage company wants to help you keep your home and avoid foreclosure. Contact them quickly to see if you are eligible for a Modification. If you need further assistance (before or after contacting your mortgage company), contact a Housing Counselor.
Having mortgage payment challenges?
Try our quiz to see if a loan modification may be right for you.